Microservices provide a number of benefits to developers and, ultimately, end-users of applications supported by microservices architectures. These include the ability to scale and develop each microservice independently, which enables increased release velocity. But microservices also introduce a number of challenges that developers need to address, especially if they are developing mission-critical transactional applications. Among these challenges is maintaining data consistency across a set of microservices. Enter command query responsibility segregation, or CQRS.
In this episode of Pivotal Insights, host Jeff Kelly dives into the topic of CQRS with Pivotal's own Kenny Bastani. Kenny, a Spring developer advocate, lays out the challenges CQRS helps microservices developers overcome, provides advice for implementing CQRS, and discusses the complexities that CQRS itself introduces to microservices applications.
News and Resources
- Read Kenny's blog post, Building Event-Driven Microservices Using CQRS and Serverless
- Watch Pivotal's Eitan Suez presentation from SpringOne Platform 2016, Where Does Apache Geode Fit in CQRS Architectures?
- Check out this CQRS microservice demo that runs and scales on Cloud Foundry from Pivotal's Ben Wilcock
- Visit http://pivotal.io/podcasts for show notes and other episodes.
- Download the episode and check us out on SoundCloud, subscribe to the feed directly, or on iTunes to have it automatically downloaded for you.
- Twitter: @jeffreyfkelly and @kennybastani
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Author
Jeff Kelly is a Principal Product Marketing Manager at Pivotal Software. He spends his time learning and writing about how leading enterprises are tapping the cloud, data and modern application development to transform how the world builds software. Prior to joining Pivotal, Jeff was the lead industry analyst covering Big Data analytics at Wikibon, an open source research and advisory firm. Before that, Jeff covered data warehousing, business analytics and other IT topics as a reporter and editor at TechTarget. He received his B.A. in American studies from Providence College and his M.A. in journalism from Northeastern University.Follow on Google Plus Follow on Twitter More Content by Jeff Kelly