A recent study by researchers at Boston University and MIT found that companies that invest in, develop and leverage application programming interfaces, or APIs, enjoy significant growth in revenue and profit as a result. APIs enable companies to extract additional value from legacy systems and expose their services to more users. But as APIs become central to a company's business model, managing and securing them likewise take on added importance.
In this episode of Pivotal Insights, co-hosts Jeff Kelly and Dormain Drewitz speak with Prithpal Bhogill, a product manager for API platform provider Apigee, now a part of Google’s cloud platform group. The three discuss the evolution of what is often called the API Economy, how APIs are reshaping the way large, traditional enterprises do business and create value for their customers, and some of the challenges developers face developing, managing and securing APIs in cloud-native environments.
- Visit http://pivotal.io/podcasts for show notes and other episodes.
- Download the episode and check us out on SoundCloud, subscribe to the feed directly, or on iTunes to have it automatically downloaded for you.
- Twitter: @jeffreyfkelly, @dormaindrewitz and @pbhogill.
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
News & Resources
- Check out the How to Build an API Program that Doesn't Suck ebook from Apigee
- Attend the Pivotal Cloud-Native Roadshow in a city near you.
- Check out this CIO.com article about Goldman Sach’s use of APIs.
- Get started with the Apigee Edge Service Broker for PCF tile.
About the Author
Jeff Kelly is a Director of Product Marketing at Pivotal Software. He spends his time learning and writing about how leading enterprises are tapping the cloud, data and modern application development to transform how the world builds software. Prior to joining Pivotal, Jeff was the lead industry analyst covering Big Data analytics at Wikibon, an open source research and advisory firm. Before that, Jeff covered data warehousing, business analytics and other IT topics as a reporter and editor at TechTarget. He received his B.A. in American studies from Providence College and his M.A. in journalism from Northeastern University.Follow on Google Plus Follow on Twitter More Content by Jeff Kelly