Data caching isn't a new concept, but it does become trickier in microservices architectures. Microservices allow developers to quickly build and iterate applications, which puts pressure on the data layer to keep up. Pivotal Cloud Cache - a distributed, highly available, high speed key/value caching service - is designed to bridge the gap. "It's not only about performance anymore," says Jag Mirani, who oversees marketing for Pivotal's in-memory products, referring to data caching. "It's about bridging these two different worlds" - modern applications and data - "that are operating on a different cadence and a different mindset." In this episode of Pivotal Insights, Jag joins hosts Jeff and Dormain to talk about the role of caching in microservices architectures. They also get a little philosophical while they're at it, and Jeff finally learns how to correctly pronounce Dormain's last name.
- Visit http://pivotal.io/podcasts for show notes and other episodes.
- Download the episode and check us out on SoundCloud, subscribe to the feed directly, or on iTunes to have it automatically downloaded for you.
- Twitter: @jeffreyfkelly, @dormaindrewitz and @jagmirani.
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
News & Resources
- Jag provides an introduction to look-aside caching in this blog post.
- Jag and Cornelia Davis go even deeper in this white paper on in-memory data caching in microsevices architectures.
- Check out the documentation for Pivotal Cloud Cache, then download the Pivotal Cloud Cache tile on PivNet.
About the Author
Jeff Kelly is a Principal Product Marketing Manager at Pivotal Software. He spends his time learning and writing about how leading enterprises are tapping the cloud, data and modern application development to transform how the world builds software. Prior to joining Pivotal, Jeff was the lead industry analyst covering Big Data analytics at Wikibon, an open source research and advisory firm. Before that, Jeff covered data warehousing, business analytics and other IT topics as a reporter and editor at TechTarget. He received his B.A. in American studies from Providence College and his M.A. in journalism from Northeastern University.Follow on Google Plus Follow on Twitter More Content by Jeff Kelly