The NBA introduced the three point shot in 1979, but just how much has it impacted the style of play? That's the question Pivotal Data Scientist - and avid NBA fan - Chris Rawles wanted to answer. Chris applied his skills as a data scientist to years worth of NBA statistical data to illustrate just how much the game has changed since players started launching bombs from behind the three point arc nearly forty years ago. In this episode of Pivotal Insights, Chris breaks down his findings, talks to Jeff and Dormain about the tools he used to perform the analytics, and - just to keep things interesting -fills us in on some of the current uses of data analytics by NBA teams.
- Visit http://pivotal.io/podcasts for show notes and other episodes.
- Download the episode and check us out on SoundCloud, subscribe to the feed directly, or on iTunes to have it automatically downloaded for you.
- Twitter: @jeffreyfkelly, @dormaindrewitz and @thecrawles.
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
News & Resources
- Check out Chris's blog post, Data Science How-To: Using Apache Spark for Sports Analytics
- Chris also breaks down the impact of "Curry Ball" on your March Madness brackets so next year you can stay alive past the second round.
- Want to try your hand at analyzing NBA data? Get all the statistical data you'll need at basketball-reference.com.
About the Author
Jeff Kelly is a Director of Product Marketing at Pivotal Software. He spends his time learning and writing about how leading enterprises are tapping the cloud, data and modern application development to transform how the world builds software. Prior to joining Pivotal, Jeff was the lead industry analyst covering Big Data analytics at Wikibon, an open source research and advisory firm. Before that, Jeff covered data warehousing, business analytics and other IT topics as a reporter and editor at TechTarget. He received his B.A. in American studies from Providence College and his M.A. in journalism from Northeastern University.Follow on Google Plus Follow on Twitter More Content by Jeff Kelly