Just 110 days after the formation of the Cloud Foundry Foundation, the newly minted organization pulled off an amazing Cloud Foundry Summit. With over 50% growth in attendance over last year, the event this year took over the Santa Clara Convention Center May 11th and May 12th.
Certainly, we have some bias, but this event has grown a reputation as a stand-out event in Silicon Valley, showcasing dramatic innovation completed at impressive speeds—all powered by the Cloud Foundry platform. Ten Pivotal customers spoke at the event, sharing story after story of how they cut development time from 18 months to minutes, how they turned around their business because they went all in on becoming a digital enterprise, and how they are dreaming up fantastical business ventures–including commuter trips to Mars.
The media picked up on the excitement as well, with coverage from the likes of Forbes, Fortune, InformationWeek, and the Wall Street Journal, among others. Notably, Dell announced expansion of their Digital Business Services portfolio to include Pivotal Cloud Foundry, GE introduced the Industrial Internet Dojo, and J.P. Morgan Chase joined the Cloud Foundry Foundation.
Cloud Foundry Summit by the Numbers
- 1,570 registered attendees, an increase of over 50% from last year. The event was so well attended that 300 people stood in the back for the kick off keynotes.
- 10 Fortune 500 companies spoke about their digital transformation with Pivotal Cloud Foundry.
- 20+ Pivotal customers and team members presented, all listed below, with customers recounting success stories that have now spanned years.
- 95 submissions were made to present at Cloud Foundry Summit, with 28 presentations accepted.
- 31 companies sponsored the event.
- 5000+ tweets were sent, and there were over 1 million Twitter impressions.
- 1st Diversity Luncheon was held, with over 125 women in attendance. Check out the video from the diversity luncheon.
30 Tweets from Cloud Foundry Summit:
Out of over 5000 tweets, here are 30 that help paint a picture of the event.
- @bernardgolden: Think @sramji kickoff keynote reinforced my perspective he was exactly right choice for foundation CEO. #cfsummit
- @sramji: Cloud Foundry Haiku from @onsijoe ”Here is my source code, Run it on the cloud for me, I do not care how”
- @SteveEgart: Top 100 Quotes from the Cloud Foundry Summit 2015 http://blog.altoros.com/top-qoutes-from-the-cloud-foundry-summit-2015.html
- @jmckenty: “If you take cloud foundry away from us, we will hurt you.”—developer at @18F, as reported by @dlapiduz #cfsummit
- @r_arni: “Shift in thinking” Comcast just gets it. Get apps and not VMs.
- @LawrenceByrd: Comcast uses everything at #cfsummit—@pivotalcf @CloudFoundry + #Docker + #OpenStack
- @SMC_on_IoT: #IoT requires PaaS to Re-use components amongst diverse apps. Siki Giunta @Verizon #cfsummit #cloudminds—#truedat IoT $$ needs modularity!
- @saurabhguptasg: #cfsummit Siki Giunta from .@Verizon gives an amazing ROI analysis of #PaaS: enable workloads rather than basic IaaS
- @JohanDenHaan: GE is building the industrial Internet on top of Cloud Foundry and contributing “Industrial Protocols” #cfsummit
- @samcharrington: Monsanto & Corelogic case studies at #cfsummit were a couple of best I’ve seen on PaaS. Great detail & discussion of issues, promise.
- @mdcunha: Lockheed Martin uses #CloudFoundry to meet challenges in #Agile, #Mobile and #Analytics. #CFSummit
- @antonmc: Big theme from #cfsummit was #nimble transformation of traditional business—by companies like @Garmin, @Allstate, @kroger—eye opening!
- @LozCrowther: @cloudfoundry and @SpringCloudOSS have provided a new opportunity to @Garmin #CFSummit
- @researchgoddess: True! RT @wattersjames: This is the moment in the talk where you realize that @AZitney is the John Wayne of CIOs #cfsummit
- @wattersjames: Boom! @kitcolbert drops the news VMware is contributing a Photon OS stemcell to @cloudfoundry—this will be a game changer #cfsummit
- @cdavisafc: “Two people built the app and got it into the AppStore in 5 weeks” some born on the web tech startup? Nope—@Humana @cloudfoundry #cfsummit
- @DanielKrook: Allstate is a 90 year old company, yet innovation is critical because insurance is prime for disruption. #CFSummit
- Regehr @jonathanregehr: The concept of a release is outdated.—Jeroen van Rotterdam #cfsummit #cfsummit2015
- @zivdai: IBM #Bluemix is the largest Cloud Foundry cluster in the world—growing at 8,000 new developers a week. #CFSummit
- @Hpattipati: Whole new appreciation for #DevOps #Microservices, Continuous Delivery after first day at #cfsummit
- @drnic: “Companies started to realise: Google/Netflix aren’t different from them, they are the future.” @wattersjames #cfsummit
- @RyanWallner: Spring cloud now includes Netflix OSS #cfsummit #cfsummit2015
- @TNarsana: Cooperating on #PaaS interoperability and competing on execution is the @cloudfoundry way. #cfsummit http://bit.ly/1G3hG3Z
- @shyamvaran: Lessons learnt on #PCF. Platform upgrades were very easy #CFSummit #CoreLogic
- @LawrenceByrd: Fascinating @CoreLogicInc case study #cfsummit From hundreds of disparate platforms to a common @CloudFoundry future
- @mattjcurry: Intel has given a lot of thought to securing CF. Talk is awesome. We share a lot of the same views. #cfsummit
- @jdsboston: @DanielKrook @littleidea kroger adoption with devs is so enthusiastic theyR throttling internal users back #CFSummit
- @LozCrowther: Standing room only for @mstine ‘s talk on Microservices #cfsummit
- @duncanjw: Next up @ahtweetin and @robert_g_moss talking about brokering cloud foundry services with Apache Brooklyn #cfsummit
- @davebart: GE Aviation can generate 50 petabytes a day and now we are able to handle data ingestion at that rate #CFSummit
Recommended Blogs from Cloud Foundry Summit:
- Leading up to the event, Microsoft announced their support of Cloud Foundry on Azure. They also presented at Cloud Foundry Summit—Managing Cloud Foundry on Azure with hybrid integration options.
- One of IBM’s distinguished engineers offered a sense of people’s feelings at the event with commentary like “First off; WOW!,” “The keynotes and sessions were packed,” and “You could really feel the excitement in the air.”
- Dr. Nic highlighted his talk on “How we deploy all things Bosh.” In it, he covers some of the key approaches to keep apps running for 5 years.
- Altoros did a great job of capturing the top 100 quotes from Cloud Foundry Summit (10 in each of the 10 categories): why Cloud Foundry, in numbers, open community and collaboration, ecosystem diversity, enterprise, DevOps and cloud native, tips, funny, metaphors, and future predictions. Our three favorite quotes just might be:
- “cf push wind-turbine”—GE Software
- “400 containers per minute”—Huawei
- “The plane I’m taking to London is a flying Solaris workstation.”—Cory Doctorow
- An OpenStack Foundation’s community board members offers a perspective on some of the challenges ahead.
A Few Media Quotes from Cloud Foundry Summit
- InformationWeek: GE Prepares For Industrial Internet With Cloud Foundry quoted Harel Kodesh, CTO of GE Software, as saying, “When you realize the intensity and volume of data—petabytes and petabytes—it dwarfs the consumer internet.”
- Fortune: Reinventing software development isn’t easy, but Cloud Foundry is trying quoted Andrew Clay Shafer, Senior Director of Technology at Pivotal, saying, “Most enterprises have developed systems that are difficult and expensive to deploy and operate, where cloud-native companies have invested in automation and architectures to make those problems go away.”
- The Wall Street Journal: J.P. Morgan Chase Joins Cloud Foundry Foundation in Automation Push and says, “Using the Cloud Foundry platform, J.P. Morgan developers can access, via their computers, compute, storage, messaging, or database software, irrespective of the vendor brand, version, or configuration. Cloud Foundry software will help J.P. Morgan developers access database and other applications as automatically provisioned services. ‘That gives us the flexibility we need without getting locked into a vendor,’ and without the hassle of reconfiguring software, he said. In a test, the bank provisioned two transaction processing apps onto Cloud Foundry software in half a day.”
Pivotal Videos from Cloud Foundry Summit:
Here are the the videos from the Cloud Foundry Summit, that includes Pivotal customer and team presentations.
- Deploying Microservice Architectures with Cloud Foundry—Matt Stine
- Running Cloud Foundry at Comcast—Neville George, Sam Guerrero, Tim Leong, Sergey Matochkin
- Devops, microservices and platforms, oh my!—Andrew Clay Shafer
- Rocking the Lattice: A New Path for Cloud Foundry Applications—James Bayer, Colin Humphreys
- Cloud Foundry Diversity Lunch & Program—Malini Bhandaru, Sheryl Chamberlain, Cornelia Davis, Eileen Evans, Abby Kearns, Rachel Reinitz, Robin Hauser, Reynolds
- A Developer’s Perspective on Cloud Foundry Operations: One Month in the Trenches—Cornelia Davis
- CF Service Brokers Updates: Async provisions, service keys, and any params—Michael Maximilien, David Sabeti
- Keynote: Welcome to the Cloud Native Enterprise—James Watters and Joshua McKenty
- Diego Update—Onsi Fakhouri
- Leaving Your Comfort Zone—Garmin & Cloud Foundry—Alex Curtis, Brandon Henry, Jonathan Regehr
- Why we Picked CF as the Basis for our Public Cloud Multi-Tenant Platform—Michael Root, Jeroen van Rotterdam
- Resource Management Ecosystem and Cloud Foundry—A Review of the State of the Art—Raghvender Arni
- Data Science on Cloud Foundry—Ian Huston, Alexander Kagoshima
- Next steps in the Cloud Foundry API and why…—James Myers, Zach Robinson, Luan Santos
- Keynote: Developing the Freedom to Disrupt—Andy Zitney
- Lessons Learned from Corelogic’s Year of Agile Development with Cloud Foundry—Richard Leurig
- The Road to Persistence on Cloud Foundry Diego—Caleb Miles, Ted Young
- The start of Kroger’s Journey to Cloud Foundry—James Masters, Ted Tollefson
- Deploying Microservice Architectures with Cloud Foundry—Matt Stine
- Keynote: User Spotlight: Managing Cultural Transformation at Lockheed Martin—Kevin Carlson, Christine Chesnick, Cecil Miller
- Keynote: Cloud Foundry for the Internet of (Really Important) Things—Harel Kodesh
- Full list of videos from Cloud Foundry Summit
- See Program Slides from Cloud Foundry Summit
- Full list of Pivotal videos and slides
About the AuthorMore Content by Stacey Schneider