At Pivotal Labs, one of the services we provide our clients is helping them interview and hire. Pivotal Labs and our clients place a strong emphasis on Agile development and its many aspects: Pair Programming, Test-Driven Development, rapid iterations, and frequent refactoring.
Below is the job description for experienced Ruby on Rails engineers with Birchbox. Birchbox is a smart, streamlined, and fun way to discover high-end beauty, grooming, and lifestyle products. Every month Birchbox members will receive a curated box of luxe beauty samples, spanning beauty categories and delivering exciting products that fit into both your day-to-day routine, and into those days when you want to turn up the drama a notch.
Birchbox is hiring – here’s why you want to work there:
Birchbox is looking for experienced full-stack software engineers with experience working in Ruby on Rails. You are obsessed with delivering the best possible customer experience, value software engineering practices such as testing, and never forget about scalability and reusability when designing your code.
You will have the opportunity to work with our team on all aspects of our technical infrastructure including:
- developing scalable backend services in key focus areas such as logistics, payments, and inventory management
- building our internal and developer APIs
- developing new user facing features for our incredibly engaged customer base
- working with our data science team to develop an infrastructure for personalization
- working with the entire tech team to provide a consistent, fast, and delightful, experience to our customers and partners
- 1+ years experience in the RoR eco-system
experience with relational databases
- you value testing and have experience with the associated tools/frameworks e.g., RSpec, Cucumber, Selenium
- you have a solid grounding in computer science, you understand the efficiency of the code you write in terms of time and space, and you put thought into your choice of algorithms, data structures, and db schemas
- enthusiasm for learning
- Java or C/C++ experience
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD in Computer Science
- Startup experience
- Experience relevant to Ecommerce
Tech @ Birchbox:
The tech team at Birchbox is responsible for maintaining and improving the company’s customer-facing site birchbox.com, managing hosted and cloud infrastructure, and closely supporting other teams (logistics, marketing, et al.) in our 60+-person company. We work with a wide variety of open-source technologies: Debian-based servers; Chef deployments; Ruby on Rails and Java services; Python scripts; and even PHP and Perl, God forbid. The size of our team and the breadth of its responsibilities means we rely on our engineers to be self-motivated and quickly follow through on tasks without requiring close supervision. In return our engineers are given leeway to use their own initiative.
Why it’s great to work at Birchbox:
- The chance to build a fresh infrastructure to express better solutions to old and new problems.
- The opportunity to work on conceiving, designing and building a next-generation ecommerce experience.
- The uncommon chance to be at the start of something huge. We have only made a small dent in what we’re planning to do and we are growing quickly
- We think Cake, Chocolate, Espresso and Indian Cuisine are food groups. Which is part of the reason why we also believe in working out in the office. Push-ups anyone?
- Free grooming/beauty products and advice on exfoliation (you may not want it, but you’ll find out why you need it!).
How to apply:
Click here to apply. No third party recruiters please!
About the Author
BiographyMore Content by Ash Hogan